17 January 2007

looking back at the dome

Well it is 12:45 a.m. and I am up way to late. The youth group is coming at o'early 7:00 a.m. to my house for our weekly-wednesday-breakfast. I should be in bed! But no, I am online and for some reason found myself about an hour ago linking to my last church's website. FCC Tulsa. I had not looked at it in a long while.

Interesting. Interesting how time changes some things, but yet preserves so many others.
Interesting to see that the website, youth group, rooms at the church, and practically the entire staff have all changed. It was neat to see a few of my old Chi-Rho'ers who are now like 16-17 years old. And to link to their 'myspace'es... and see what they are up to. Wow. Time flies for them. They are so old. Of course lots of thoughts and memories come to mind...

I also was able to link into the 'myspace'es of a few of my least favorite sr. highers during those years... finding that not much has changed at all...even now as they are 23 years old. I suspect it is the same story but a different day.

I find myself hopeful that the kids who really were invested back then... the ones who apparently are still around FCC-T... are doing well. I hope that our days at Chi-Rho camp and the adventures we had set them up to be great youth groupers and college bound kids.

As I sometimes have a chance to reflect on the times gone by... ie: previous youth leading... I wonder if I was a dork. If I was, then I wonder if it was to prepare me for now -- that I could be a non-dork...if that makes sense.

These days I lead an ecumenical youth group of about 15-25 kids. Doing youth group here really is great. I think it has something to do with the volunteer nature on all our parts. And, that the kids come with no expecations. I look forward to the 10-12 who will get up extra early tomorrow and come for breakfast and then show back up at church in the evening for some craziness...and who 3 years ago said "yea, I could go on a mission trip." Which led to another and another. Each better than the last.

And so I come full circle. Thanks blogger for that.

...now if only I could recoup the last 2 hours of sleep.

2 comments:

April said...

It IS strange to look back at those places from which we've come and see things stay so much the same when we ourselves seem to have changed so much, isn't it?
By the way -- I think pastors should just give in to the dorkiness. Let the dorkiness reign. I'm thinking Jesus would have been a big dork if he was leading youth group. I'm just hoping he would have left the tin cup that hangs off the belt at home...

Jimmy said...

dang, so i should lose the cup?