16 January 2007

hanging out with the DUDE

My parsonage is in a great neighborhood. I am the only neighbor under 50, and most are over 70. My backyard is rather large with a white rail fence surrounding it. The fence then has spawned over the last 40 years more white fence in every direction. Tonight I went over the fence for a fun evening with Dude and Sarah Jane.
Dude and Sarah Jane are my most hilarious-church member-back yard-neighbors. Yes, his name is Dude... and has the wit & personality to match. He often leaves messages "Preacher Man, this is the Dude..." ...not to mention their Ultra Sporty Honda Acccord license plate is DUDE. And then there is Sarah Jane. She is just lovely. Always hip and styish, and can play the piano like no other. She always makes our choir shine!

Tonight we had cocktails, conversations, laughs, a great dinner, songs at the baby grand, and then a little Bailey's after dinner drink. They entertained me and I them with stories of our town and all the funny people within it from back in the day and just yesterday. I am so very lucky to have such friends. When faced with living in a parsonage and having older church members as neighbors, one could become rather fearful. However, I lucked out. We not only share a fence but a love of life and laughter. They are stylish, graceful, hilarious and always hospitable. From this I have learned so much, and for this I am always glad.

No comments: