21 January 2007

...and we'll pretend that he is Parson Brown...

I would like to settle down for a long winter's nap, however, I am searching for the luster of mid-day on the new fallen snow. It has been snowing to beat the band since 8:00 p.m. It is now after 11 and upon noticing Dude and Sarah Jane (see earlier post) were still up around 11pm I called to find out if they were up for a late night snow ball fight over the fence. The Dude suggested perhaps snow angels. We settled on a possible gathering later tomorrow night over the meat loaf that Sarah J. had made for tomorrow's church potluck.

Yes, this bloomin snow is going to mess with my potluck plans. My church folks do potlucks very well. We had all been looking forward to the first one of the year tomorrow since it has been since Thanksgiving that we gathered with our covered-dishes.

Since the whole town canceled church last Sunday I think we will be reluctant to do so tomorrow. So, this parson will be up early in the am, in his pre-church sweats, having to go down and scope out the situation...setting up for the snowy Christians that will gather.

Should they come out? no.
Will they come out despite the 6-10 inches? yes.

So, we shall go and sing and be warm together and share in a meal and be glad.
Oh bugger, I just remembered my 80 year old organist lives in the country and will surely not be in...which means no music. ugh.

This now means I will have to pick 3 hymns we can do a capella. I am thinking Amazing Grace, Pass it On, and This is the Day. Perhaps a little Let Us Break Bread Together.

I will think we should be singing "Walking in a Winter Wonderland" or even more appropriately, the hit of old, "I Will Survive."

On another note, I moved our Rotary exchange student between host families today. Since family #2 lives in a rural setting, and that their hilly lane is all ice, and that the Caddy is not 4WD, we walked in packing the Thai student's stuff literally over the river and through the wood to his new family's front door. They helped of course, but what a site to behold. Five people with suitcases, golf bag, Christmas gift bags, clothes on hangers and a bunch of fools this close to biting it on the ice. We took pictures so his family in Thailand could have a good laugh.

It was a full day but the rest of the story will have to wait... at least till I have had that nap.

May your weather be bright however deep the snow,
jes.4

3 comments:

April said...

You turd. You're going to get out of church again, aren't you? Blast it, Spear -- if you ever have doubts as to your blessedness -- remember the January of 07.
Jealous, jealous, jealous...

Anonymous said...

Well, I hope you're enjoying your morning tromping about in the snow. I'm sitting here watching the local Baptist church on tv....my usual Sunday morning routine. Flipping through the channels wondering how you Sunday morning pastors get it up every Sunday am! We were hoping for a cancellation here - but there's not a flake of snow on the ground and hasn't been this whole winter. thanks for the addition of the cool church!

Jimmy said...

Well McClure-Stewart, we indeed had church this am. Ha!
A whopping 20 people. I made them all sit in the first 3 rows. :)
We are about at 6-8 inches...but mostly plowed on roads/lots.
So apparently my blessedness only was good for a week.