25 May 2007

Taking the Peonies to Fairview

Today I have been thinking of my grandparents. I loved all three that I knew in my life, but my Dad's parents were very close to me in many ways. My grandfather, James Jr., died when i was 10 and my grandmother died when i was 22. I was the oldest grandchild and had the opportunity to be with and know them the most. We shared some very important grandparent-grandchild moments in life for which I am most thankful.

My grandmother was the keeper of the family history and story. It was on Memorial Day weekend that she was very intentional about going to all the cemeteries here in Louisiana. We always picked out the flowers that her parents and those close to her would have liked and then head out to the Riverview and Fairview Cemeteries.

I was always the one who would go along for the annual trapezing around the countryside in Grammy's classic Chevelle with our flowers to find the ancestors. As we would come upon the Smiths, Vasconcellos, Collins, and Readings we would always recall the names and stories of our family. The drive out Frankford Rd to Fairview (which is in my opinion the prettiest place in the country) would always mean passing the family homesteads and commenting on their stories.

Since my grandmother passed away some 11 years ago I have carried on her tradition. (I think she made me promise I would back when I was like 8.) Today is the day for my special trip to the country. I will get out Grammy's old Chevelle and head out the old road past the homesteads and when I come to the top of the cemetery and find the Smiths under the big Oak tree and Grammy & PawPaw not to far away under the Bradford Pears, I will be reminded again of the names and stories of my family.

The great-grands all get Violets this year. Great great Aunt Will Ella who I only knew until I was 10 years old, when she was in her 88-98th years, will get bright Zinnias (she had a very sad lonely life, so I always give her big & bright).

It will be Grammy's that I will go to last. I think she would have approved the selection, for she always had a thing for pink Peonies.

3 comments:

LaLaLouie said...

you're the best....

April said...

I was thinking about you and your peonies yesterday when I was rereading comments from a post I made last year about Memorial Day weekend. We are blessed to be the bearers of these things, aren't we?

Much love, dear.

Anonymous said...

Grandparents, flowers, and Memorial Day certainly go together. We lost my grandfather just over a month ago and last Saturday was my Johanna's wedding day. She placed a special boutonniere on his grave before the ceremony - her way of honoring his memory and wishing he were still here.

You're a good grandson, Jimmy!